Photo Information

Navy Lt. Billy Turley and a local translator explain to the father of an ill child the severity of his son’s tooth infection, which had spread down the jaw and neck and formed an abscess that threatened to cut off the boy’s breathing. Turley removed seven decayed teeth and surgically drained the infection at the Santa Rosa Hospital in Oecussi, Timor Leste, Oct. 17.

Photo by Sgt. Scott Biscuiti

Dentist: Boy, 4, would have lost airway if untreated

17 Oct 2009 | Sgt. Scott Biscuiti 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit

The musty air in the clinic’s waiting room was palpable.

Many walked all morning to be there when the Americans arrived. A mother held her baby, a son sat next to his father, and a girl led her grandmother by the hand.

One father sat expressionless, aged by many years under an intense sun. In his arms was the limp body of his 4-year-old son. There was emptiness in the boy’s brown eyes, as if weeks of pain in his jaw and neck left him detached from the world.

An abscess jutted from under his jaw. An infection in the child’s neck, caused by rotted teeth, was growing exponentially. It was closing his airway.

He badly needed the teeth removed and the infection drained. Left untreated, he would suffocate.

On the morning of Oct. 17, a team of Navy medical personnel from the 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit flew to Santa Rosa Hospital in the enclave district of Oecussi in East Timor. The sailors had been providing health services at remote locations in the country since Oct. 15.

Navy Lt. Billy Turley, a general dentist, just finished treating a patient when the father and son came in. 

“Immediately I knew this was a case that needed surgical intervention,” he said.

The boy had difficulty breathing and swallowing, and his father said he had eaten only small amounts of rice in the past three days.

Turley feared for the boy.

“My initial concern was that due to the isolation from advanced medical care, the child might not make it,” said the Auburn, Ky., native.

In an American hospital, an operating room would have been ready shortly after the boy arrived. But this was Timor Leste, a Southeast Asian nation with few doctors and even fewer dentists.

“I was told by the nurse here that the only dentist nearby was in Dili,” Turley said.

The capital city is more than 80 miles from the isolated district, and there was no guarantee a dentist would see the boy, let alone be capable of performing the surgery.

Turley ran through the possibilities in his head. They could fly the boy to Dili or to the amphibious assault ship USS Bonhomme Richard anchored off the coast. Those courses would take time.

Those close to Turley know him as a man of action.

“If something needs to happen, Doctor Turley makes it happen,” said Petty Officer 2nd Class Rachel Arndt, a hospital corpsman who has worked with Turley for 14 months. “He doesn’t sit around. He takes the bull by the horns.”

The child’s condition was severe, and Turley said the boy needed to be unconscious during the surgery. However, anesthesia is a rare specialty in the underdeveloped country.

The 28-year-old dentist went to the director of the clinic in hopes of finding someone qualified. He was in luck. There was a team of Cuban doctors working at the emergency room next door.

After a confusing mix of translation – Turley speaking English to a translator who spoke local Tetum to a Cuban who relayed Spanish to the doctors – the Cubans were on board.

The director made the arrangements with the anesthesiologist and the doctors ensured the boy was fit for surgery.

“Putting him under was a risk,” said Turley, a graduate of Western Kentucky University. “But not doing the surgery was a far greater risk.

“I told the father that he had an extremely severe infection, and without emergency surgery, his son would lose his airway”

Turley said the father, a local police officer, turned to him with a stone-cold look on his face, realizing the problem was serious.

The worried father said yes to the surgery, and within an hour, the child was in green scrubs lying on a gurney.

The boy’s eyes were wide. He squeezed his mother’s finger with his tiny hand. Cuban nurses wheeled the weeping boy away into an operating room. The anesthesiologist silenced the boy’s cries.

It was Turley’s turn.

After pulling seven badly rotted teeth, Turley opened the neck abscess with a small incision, about two centimeters.

Pus and blood oozed.

Jonnes Vallejo, a Cuban surgeon, assisted Turley in draining the infection and stitching the boy up. They leaned over the boy; their experienced hands weaved the stitches with a natural ease, like one ties a knot in a shoe.

When the last stitch was made, Turley backed from the operating table and waited for the Cuban medical team to revive the boy.

The procedure was done.

“I was glad it was over and that we didn’t have any complications, ” he said. “We got everything out.”

With the boy breathing on his own and his heart rate stable, the doctors removed their masks and gloves and retired to a small break room outside the operating suite.

"That makes the whole trip worth while," Turley said as he sat. "Knowing that you saved a kid’s life."

Members of the Cuban medical team rolled the boy’s gurney out of the operating room. A nurse brought the boy’s mother in. She found her son and gently embraced him. The medical team quietly left the room.


Marine Corps News

Colonel Caleb Hyatt
Commanding Officer

Colonel Caleb Hyatt is a native of Tamarac, Florida. He was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant following graduation with merit from the United States Naval Academy in May 2001. Colonel Hyatt’s command positions include Guns Platoon Commander, Battery S, 5th Battalion, 10th Marines; Headquarters Battery Commander, 5th Battalion, 11th Marines; Battery R Commander, 5th Battalion, 11th Marines; and Commanding Officer, 2d Battalion, 11th Marines. Colonel Hyatt has deployed in support of Operations IRAQI FREEDOM and ENDURING FREEDOM with artillery, light armored reconnaissance, and logistics units. Colonel Hyatt holds a BS in Computer Science, MA in Management, MMAS in Theater Operations, and an MS in National Security Strategy. Colonel Hyatt is also a 2023 distinguished graduate from the National War College.

Read Biography

Lieutenant Col. Steven M. Sprigg
Executive Officer

LtCol Sprigg was born in Parkersburg, WV. LtCol Sprigg enlisted in the United States Marine Corps in September 2004 and recruit training at Marine Corps Recruit Depot, Parris Island, SC. LtCol Sprigg was selected for the Enlisted Commissioning Program and commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in March 2008. He was designated a Naval Aviator in February 2011 and reported to HMLAT-303 for training as an AH-1W pilot. LtCol Sprigg is currently serving as the Executive Officer for the 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit in Camp Pendleton, California.

Read Biography

Sergeant Major Geronimo Guzman
Sergeant Major

Sergeant Major Guzman enlisted in the Marine Corps in November of 1998. He attended recruit training aboard Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego, California. In April of 1999, Private First Class Guzman transferred to the Material Readiness Battalion, 3rd Force Service Support Group, Okinawa, Japan. In July of 2005, Sergeant Guzman reported to Drill Instructor School, Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego, California. In May of 2011, Staff Sergeant Guzman reported to the Officers Candidate School, Quantico, Virginia. In November of 2019, Sergeant Major Guzman was promoted to his current rank and reported to Recruiting Station Sacramento. In July 2022, Sergeant Major Guzman reported to 1st Maintenance Battalion, where he previously served as the Battalion Sergeant Major.

Read Biography